Among the archipelago of islands that make up the Sunderbans, the smallest and poorest communities are often forgotten in the time of disaster. While help, funding and relief material poured into Kolkata and its surrounding regions post the Amphan Supercyclone, islands like Mousuni received very little aid. After all, cyclones and flooding are not alien to these low-lying specks of land!
Still reeling from the effects of the Bulbul cyclone in November 2019, the homes, livestock and small farms of the island were once again faced with calamity in May 2020. This time, the impact was greater than ever before, because nothing could stand against or in the way of the great Amphan Supercyclone!
In August 2020, Anugraha Foundation joined hands with Kakdwip Swanirbhar Gosthi in an effort to reach out to one of the most deeply deprived communities in the worst-hit island of Mousuni – Poila Gheri.
Here are some highlights of the relief activity undertaken:
- We initiated this relief effort in August 2020 upon realising that many communities were still distraught and without support. Our local networks helped identify 100 of the neediest from the 500 families in the community of Poila Gheri.
- This effort was funded by the members of the Tollygunge Christian Fellowship, under the leadership of Mr. Ravindra Raj, who were also actively involved in fundraising, proposal writing and distribution.
- Through this initiative, we were able to
provide wholesome family survival kits that catered to all kinds of urgent and
pressing needs of the villagers. Each kit contained:
- Dry Ration (Food)
- Tarpaulin Sheet (Shelter)
- Hurricane Lamp (Lighting)
- Mosquito Net (Protection)
- Washing Soap (Hygiene)
- Phenyl (Sanitation)
- Plastic Bucket, Mug (Other Basic Needs)
- Due to the strict lockdown restrictions at Mousuni island, the beneficiaries had to be transported to the other side of the Namkhana River to receive the relief items. We acknowledge and appreciate the immense support offered by the local administration, police force and Kakdwip Swanirbhar Gosthi (KSG) in making the necessary cost-free travel arrangements (boats, motor vans) and ensuring the seamless flow of the entire distribution programme.
- The distribution programme was organised with the attendance of local administrative authorities and leaders from the Mousuni Island, who felicitated Anugraha Foundation as well as Tollygunge Christian Fellowship for their support.
We are happy to announce that this is one of the biggest post-Amphan relief drives organised by a non-profit organisation in the island of Mousuni. We thank all our supporters, well-wishers and the local authorities for making this possible!